Chronic fatigue syndrome or CFS, is multi-system disorder that many people suffer with. CFS is a diagnosis of exclusion, meaning that once all other possible causes of your group of symptoms are ruled out then you are finally diagnosed with CFS. CFS can range from mild cases of long term fatigue to more severe cases, where quality of life can be severely compromised. Naturopathy can be very effective in helping to manage CFS and its associated symptoms.
You may be diagnosed by your doctor with chronic fatigue syndrome if you have these two criteria…
1. Unexplained, persistent fatigue that’s not due to ongoing exertion, isn’t substantially relieved by rest, is of new onset (not lifelong) and results in a significant reduction in previous levels of activity.
2. Four or more of the following symptoms are present for six months or more:
- Impaired memory or concentration
- Postexertional malaise (extreme, prolonged exhaustion and sickness following physical or mental activity)
- Unrefreshing sleep
- Muscle pain
- Multijoint pain without swelling or redness
- Headaches of a new type or severity
- Sore throat that’s frequent or recurring
- Tender cervical or axillary lymph nodes
Other common symptoms include:
- Irritable bowel, abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea or bloating
- Chills and night sweats
- Brain fog
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Chronic cough
- Visual disturbances (blurring, sensitivity to light, eye pain or dry eyes)
- Allergies or sensitivities to foods, alcohol, odors, chemicals, medications or noise
- Difficulty maintaining upright position (orthostatic instability, irregular heartbeat, dizziness, balance problems or fainting)
Source: CDC website USA 2011
The complexity of symptoms that occurs in CFS syndrome sufferers makes it well suited to naturopathic treatment. Brisbane Natural Health naturopath Gemma Martin specialises in CFS and has helped many patients overcome this condition to live happier and more fulfilled lives. Naturopathy works to improve symptoms of CFS by addressing possible underlying causes, such as immune weakness, viral effects, inflammation and digestive health.
Our naturopaths also prescribe natural medicines to deal with the symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome, helping to reduce pain, improve sleep, enhance immunity and reduce digestive discomfort. This coupled with dietary and lifestyle coaching can help you feel good again.
Naturopathic treatment of CFS is not a quick solution, with progress measured over weeks and months, however changes that are made are usually long lasting. Most patients report improvements in some areas within the first 2 – 4 weeks of treatment. Each CFS patient is unique, so your treatment plan will be tailored to suit your needs for best results.
To make an appointment with our naturopath Gemma Martin call 07 3367 0337 or click here.