Indulge guilt free with this lovely cake, which is free from sugar, wheat and gluten.
250g chopped organic butter
1/2 cup filtered water
1/2 cup brandy
1/2 cup xylitol
125g chopped prunes
4 organic eggs, beaten
1tbsp grated orange zest
1tsp grated lemon zest
2 1/4 cups freshly made almond flour
100g chopped almonds
1/2tsp bicarb soda
1 1/2 tsp mixed spice
1/4 cup whole almonds to decorate
2 tablespoons brandy
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
2. Grease a 23cm cake tin and line with baking paper
3. In a saucepan on medium heat add butter, brandy, water and xylitol. Once butter is melted add dried fruit and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Place in a large mixing bowl and allow to cool.
4. Once cool stir in beaten eggs and grated zest with a wooden spoon. Then add almond meal, bicarb, mixed spice and chopped almonds. Stir until well combined.
5. Spoon mixture into prepared cake tin. Decorate the top with whole almonds.
6. Cover the top of the cake with baking paper. Loosely wrap the cake in brown paper and place in preheated oven. Bake at 160 degrees for 1 hour.
7. Remove the brown paper and reduce temperature to 150 degrees celcius. Bake for one more hour, or until a skewer comes out clean.
8. Drizzle with 2 tbsp brandy and leave to cool in the tin.
Recipe adapted from www.perfectsweet.com.au