Nearly all muesli bars you buy are loaded with sugars like glucose, corn syrup and other nasties, so we thought we’d show you how to make your own! This is an open recipe – meaning that you can mix and change the ingredients as you please using different grains, nuts/seeds and fruits each time.
Tahini or Organic Peanut Paste
Any gluten free cereal grain – puffed amaranth, puffed rice, puffed millet, rolled quinoa, puffed buckwheat.
Nuts – almonds, walnuts, cashews, brazil nuts, pecans, hazelnuts…
Seeds – sunflower, pepitas, sesame, poppy…
Dried fruit – organic or sulphate free – apricots, dates, sultanas, raisins, cranberries, figs..
Flour – rice, chickpea (basan) or buckwheat work well
Cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger or other spices as desired
How to make it!
1. In a saucepan, heat equal amounts of honey and tahini on a very low heat until melted through.
2. Choose your ingredients from the list. Add enough grains, nuts, seeds and dried fruit so that the mix is coated but not too wet. Try for just a small amount of fruit and lots of grains, nuts and seeds.
3. Add a small amount of the gluten free flour of your choice, around 1 tsp per handful of grains.
4. Spread into a greased shallow baking tray (or use greaseproof paper), press down to pack tightly.
5. Put into an oven preheated to 180 degrees celcius and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until browned on top.
6. Let cool then using a sharp knife, slice into desired size.
7. Store in an airtight container for up to 10 days.
Some recipe ideas:
- Rolled quinoa, puffed amaranth, almonds, sunflower seeds and sultanas
- Puffed millet, puffed amaranth, puffed rice, apricots, coconut and sunflower seeds
- Puffed rice, walnuts, pepitas and dates
- Puffed amaranth, macadamia nuts, sesame seeds and dried cranberries