This is a great variation on the classic pumpkin soup, being high in protein due to the chickpeas and cashews.
1/2 large pumpkin, peeled and chopped into large pieces
5 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 litre of chicken stock (or vegetable if vegetarian)
1/2 litre of water
1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
3 kale or sliverbeet leaves, chopped (optional)
1/2 cup cashews, soaked
2 tbsp butter or rice bran oil
To make it:
1. In a large saucepan place butter/oil and garlic over a medium heat. Cook garlic until slightly browned.
2. Add stock, water, pumpkin and chickpeas. Bring to the boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for around 20 minutes, or until pumpkin is very tender.
3. Add kale/silverbeet and cashews and simmer for another 2 minutes.
4. Using a stick blender blend soup until it is at a fine consistency. You could also use a heat proof blender at this stage.
5. Serve with Sourdough bread and chopped herbs if desired