23rd March 2020
As the country goes into its first (and hopefully final) stage of lockdown the impact of the coronavirus is beginning to reach many. I’ve spent a lot of time researching COVID-19 and looking into the government recommendations around this.
For our clients at Shift at Brisbane Natural Health, our Milton clinic there is some important information that we need to share with you.
WE ARE OPEN
At the time of writing, health clinics are still allowed to operate. We are seen as an essential service and we take our role as health providers very seriously. As we are not a space where a large number of people gather we are considered a low risk when it comes to stopping the spread of COVID-19.
TO STOP THE SPREAD, WHY ARE WE NOT CLOSING?
There seems to be a lot of fear and confusion in the community with many asking the questions – ‘why doesn’t everybody just stay at home?’
We believe that if you have the opportunity to stay at home then you should take it. We also understand that while COVID-19 is the only health concern being talked about right now, there are many other major health issues that humans are dealing with.
As an allied health provider, many of our modalities are considered a primary service and essential to the health of the community. The public health system is already stretched with GPs being inundated with people who are scared and panicking. We serve an important role in our communities health and while it is safe to to so, will continue to service the wider Brisbane community to help them in this especially stressful time.
SOCIAL DISTANCING AND MASSAGE/ACUPUNCTURE
One of the most important guidelines is that of social distancing. This means you want to keep around 1.5m between yourself and other humans when you can. One might wonder if it is a risk to see a therapist that needs to touch you, such as an acupuncturist or myotherapist.
A few things that will help you to understand why this is very low risk.
- Our therapists wash their hands before and after any treatment anyway, this is standard practice.
- We have policies in place to ensure that our therapists are to stay at home with any illness. While there have been cases of asymptomatic transmission of COVID-19, this is not the norm.
- After each client, we are changing all towels and disinfecting surfaces to protect you.
- We have screening measures in place to ensure that those at high risk, such as having recently returned from overseas and those with any signs of respiratory or immune related illness do not come into the clinic until they are cleared.
PRECAUTIONS WE ARE TAKING
At Shift at Brisbane Natural Health we take COVID-19 very seriously. We have produced internal documents to help our team to minimise the risk to you. This includes:
- Offering hand sanitiser on entry and exit points of the clinic
- Regularly wiping down surfaces (reception desks, door handles, clinic room surfaces) with alcohol wipes to kill any potential viral particles.
- Screening patients to ensure high risk people do not come into the clinic.
- Ensuring that our team members stay at home if unwell, and get tested for COVID-19 and cleared before they return
- Educating our clients and the general community about safe hand washing practices and social distancing guidelines.
APPOINTMENTS AVAILABLE IN THE CLINIC
At this stage, we currently have the following appointments available at Shift at Brisbane Natural Health:
- Holographic Kinetics
At Shift we offer virtual appointments to patients worldwide, so this is not new for us. We use an online video conferencing tool called Coviu or can even talk over the phone. Many of our clients are taking up these options at the moment so they can continue their journey to shift.
You can access these services virtually/online from wherever you are:
- Naturopathy – supplements can also be posted to you
- Hypnotherapy – very effective even if you’re not in the room
- Nutritional Coaching
I’M WORRIED ABOUT COMING IN, WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS?
If you’re concerned about coming to the clinic, we’d recommend booking a naturopathic appointment where we can address your issues and post you supplements without any contact. We have conducted thousands of online appointments and the results you will get are just as effective as if you were in the room. See what naturopathy can help with here.
For emotional wellness support, our counsellor and hypnotherapist Rebecca Eather can help you via video or phone, without you ever coming in to the clinic.
SUPPORT FOR THOSE IN NEED
We recognise that for a lot of people out there this is going to be one of the most difficult times of their life. Many of our clients own small businesses or work in areas that will be severely affected by this closedown.
For those impacted by the virus directly and in need of support, we are offering some limited complimentary appointments to help people cope. If you’re in need, please contact us and we will see what we can do to help.
To talk about your options more please contact the clinic on 07 3367 0337 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to helping you through this difficult time. Thank you so much for your understanding and support.
Founder and Principal Naturopath at Shift