The problem with most muesli that you buy is that they are loaded with sugar and preservatives. Another issue is that toasting muesli with nuts and seeds makes the good oils in the nuts turn into trans fats, reducing their benefits. Do not depair – there is an alternative – our naturopath Katherine Maslen’s home made gluten free muesli!
This muesli is high in protein, gluten free and contains alkaline grains and seeds, making it less acid forming than most muesli. Enjoy!
1. Preheat your oven to 160 degrees celcius.
2. In a large baking tray/dish, add the following:
2 cups puffed amaranth
2 cups puffed millet
2 cups puffed buckwheat
3. In a small bowl mix together:
1/2 cup raw honey (warmed if thick)
1/4 cup macadamia oil (or coconut oil)
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp natural vanilla essence (optional)
4. Add honey mix to dry mix and combine well using the back of a large spoon. The mixture should be have a light and even coat all over with no clumps of honey!
5. Place tray in oven and bake for 10 minutes. Turn mix over a few times with a spoon and bake for a further 10 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Once cool add:
1/2 cup pepitas
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/4 cup chia seeds
7. Combine well and place in an airtight glass jar for storage. Serve with fresh berries or figs and yoghurt.