Quinoa is an ancient grain originating in South America. It is gluten free, high in protein and calcium and is a complex carbohydrate. Our naturopaths recommend making this porridge on Sunday and reheating it in the morning for a quick and delicious breakfast!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup rice milk or full fat organic dairy milk
- 1 apple or pear – diced
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch celtic sea salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- honey or pure maple syrup to serve
- Soak quinoa for at least 3 hours in water (or overnight). Discard water and rinse well using a fine sieve.
- In a pot add rinsed quinoa, water and cinnamon. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add milk and apple to pot and continue to simmer for another 15 mintues, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from stove and rest for 10 mintues. This will allow the porridge to thicken.
- Serve while hot or put in a container in the fridge for later use. To reheat, put porridge in a saucepan with a little water or milk.
- Serve hot with 1/4 cup chopped walnuts and around a tsp of honey or maple syrup. Enjoy!
Call us on 07 3367 0337 to book your appointment today!