Quinoa is an ancient grain originating in South America. It is gluten free, high in protein and calcium and is a complex carbohydrate. Our naturopaths recommend making this porridge on Sunday and reheating it in the morning for a quick and delicious breakfast!
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
1 cup rice milk or full fat organic dairy milk
1 apple or pear – diced
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch celtic sea salt
1 cup chopped walnuts
honey or pure maple syrup to serve
1. Soak quinoa for at least 3 hours in water (or overnight). Discard water and rinse well using a fine sieve.
2. In a pot add rinsed quinoa, water and cinnamon. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Add milk and apple to pot and continue to simmer for another 15 mintues, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove from stove and rest for 10 mintues. This will allow the porridge to thicken.
5. Serve while hot or put in a container in the fridge for later use. To reheat, put porridge in a saucepan with a little water or milk.
6. Serve hot with 1/4 cup chopped walnuts and around a tsp of honey or maple syrup. Enjoy!