Now, you may ask: How important is breakfast for starting the day with good energy? The answer? Very important! Breakfast often refers to “breaking the fast”. Overnight, the body essentially fasts and undergoes important systemic repair-work during sleep. Breakfast has been shown to blood sugar regulation, food cravings, concentration and more(just to name a few!). Eating a nutritious breakfast allows for glucose (our body’s main energy source for cells) to restore brain functioning so that you can have the energy to focus for the day. In addition, having a hunger signal is a wonderful sign of a well-functioning digestive system.
Here’s an easy and nutritious breakfast recipe for you to follow:
- 1 frozen banana (or frozen zucchini for a low sugar option)
- 1 handful of frozen blueberries
- 1 Medjool date
- 1 tsp of cacao powder
- 1 tsp of maca powder
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 250mL of ‘mylk’ (e.g. almond, coconut, or oat) or water
Blend all these ingredients together and pour into a bowl.
- 1 tsp hemp seeds
- 1 tsp ground flaxseed
- Half a handful of mixed sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds & cashews
- A sprinkle of cinnamon powder
Add these toppings to the smoothie bowl and ta-da, breakfast is served!
Enjoy (and be energised)!