Green leafy vegetables are an essential element to any healthy diet. They are power packed full of vitamins, minerals and beneficial phytonutrients that contribute to good health.
A great diet would contain at least 3 good handfuls of green leafy vegetables per day! If it’s a leaf and it’s dark green or purple then it is most likely good for you. Try eating:
There is an easy way to get large amounts of these green super foods into your diet – making a smoothie out of them! Although it might sound strange to drink a spinach smoothie – if you mix it with fruit you can hardly taste the leaves at all! If you’re new to green smoothies start with a smaller amount of greens and increase gradually to help get your tastebuds used to it. By blending the greens you break down the cellular walls of the plant, releasing the maximum amount of nutrition for digestion and assimilation.
Basic Green Smoothie Recipe
In a blender put:
- 2 pieces/handfuls of fresh or frozen fruit
- 1-2 large handfuls of green leafy vegetables – kale or baby spinach are a good place to start
- about 1 cup of water (depending on how thick you like it
- a handful of ice cubes
- Blend until super smooth and drink! You can store left over green smoothie in the fridge in a glass jar or bottle and drink later in the day.
- You’ll need a fairly decent blender to get a smooth consistency.
- Having one green smoothie every day has significant health benefits, including antiinflammatory effects, digestive improvements and improvement in skin health.
- Green smoothies are a great addition to any detoxification program, helping to provide nutrients that are essential for your detoxification pathways.
Call us on 07 3367 0337 to book your appointment today!